Monday, July 02, 2007

"And the Survey Says . . . "

Welcome to the second half of the course and our new blogging topics! Mine is CLICKERS: hand held devices that students use to transmit comments on a class, or answers to questions posed by their teacher. It's the classroom equivalent of the game show audience polling devices we've seen on television for a number of years. To get started you may want to take a quick look at the ALA's short missive on the use (and abuse) of clickers by clicking here!

3 comments:

BeaL said...

Wow! I think colllege courses could be so much more interactive with the clocker! It also seems that the clicker really makes each student accountable for their own learning if they are indeed, accumulating points based on correct responses. The clicker seems like a real motivator to me.

**Beatrice**

Kate said...

Hi Julie,

I like the benefits that the clicker provides in terms of instand feedback and general student understanding.

I can see this to be an effective form of technology in higher education, but I'd be curious to learn about whether or not it will make it's way down to the elementary level. I could just see a bunch of 2nd graders all with clickers...my head is already beginning to ache!

-Kate

thealouise said...

Hi ladies,

This is my first time hearing about this technology being used in the classroom. I have seen it used on game shows before, but never imagined its application in the classroom. I agree with Kate in that I see its strengths and benefits on the university level, but could imagine the clicker turning an elementary classroom into a chaotic environment. I like that it makes all students accountable by having them all respond rather than the typically more vocal students in the class.